The ultimate aim of transportation engineering is to ensure the safe and efficient movement of public and goods on roads. The traffic engineering is an essential field that comes under the immense scope of transportation engineering. The word “traffic” denotes the movement of vehicles, like heavy-duty trucks and cars that travel on highways and pedestrian walkways. The traffic engineers are experts at understanding and making changes in the technical features of road design to reduce congestion and maximize traffic flow. Also, qualified engineers help to resolve the issues that affect the process.
In addition to the design and construction of transportation infrastructure, traffic engineering concerns the functional aspects of road design that makes easy traffic flow. It involves traffic signs, intersection management, signals and road surface markings. The traffic surveys help to collect traffic data and examine the movement and characteristics of traffic along the identified roads.
The following are some distinct studies on traffic engineering are-
- Studies on Traffic Volume
- Speed Spot Studies
- Studies on Speed and Delay of Traffic
- Origin and Destination Studies
- Parking and Traffic Volume Studies
If you’re interested to know about transportation engineering, continue reading this write-up. This will detail the objectives of the significant study.
Scope of Traffic Engineering
- Traffic Characteristics: These are complex with different types of individual travelling on roads with various motives. It consists of mental, physical, environmental and psychological welfare of the public. One of the significant parts is to study vehicular characteristics to avert road accidents. Also, various studies to be done on the actual traffic, like volume, speed, capacity, travel patterns, origin and destination, parking and accidental studies as well.
- Traffic Studies: It helps to evaluate the quantity of traffic flow. This involves the number of vehicles that travel across roads or highways during a specific time.
- Traffic Operation: It deals with control, regulations and application of measures as well. The rules and regulations can be in the form of laws or other regulatory measures, like speed limits. The installation of traffic control devices is the most popular means to regular traffic flow, which includes signs, signals, pavement markings and islands.
- Planning: The need for evolution of long-term plans are required to control excessive traffic flow in different parts of the country. All the transportation needs, land plans and road net-work planning are directly interlinked. However, traffic planning is an individual field for major roads, like arterial roads, expressways and vehicle parking.
- Geometric: The aspects of roadway surface, cross-section, horizontal and vertical alignment, sight distance need, parking facilities and intersections required proper design for better traffic flow.
In addition to traffic data analyzing, expert traffic engineers should consider various fields that will provide them the correct data for traffic optimization. Some of the traffic studies include- Speed Studies, Accident Studies, Traffic Capacity Studies, Parking Studies, Traffic Volume Studies, Traffic Flow Characteristics Studies, Origin and Destination Studies. To enhance proper traffic flow, road construction along with the installation of road signs and lights, traffic engineers working hard to better traffic conditions in residential areas.
Objectives of Traffic Engineering
The following are some common objectives of traffic engineering but aren’t limited to-
- develop methods to get rid of general issues and solving special cases;
- achieve smooth and flexible traffic flow at intersections;
- have convenient, safe, rapid, comfort and economic transport of goods and public;
- enhance the speed limit of vehicles;
- increase on-road traffic capacity;
- eliminate delays in the journey;
- make roads safe for travel both vehicles and pedestrian; remove traffic congestion;
- reduce the risks of road accidents;
- initiate a free flow of traffic.
Importance of Traffic Engineers
A highly-skilled traffic engineer will have years of experience in this field of transportation engineering and will establish expertise in their individual disciplines. One of the well-established traffic and civil engineering company will cover the following-
- Traffic Impact Management
- Car Parking Facilities
- Swept Path Analysis
- Green Travel Planning
- Traffic Management
- Traffic Data Collection
- Road Safety Audit
- Transport Planning
- Construction Traffic Management
- Local Area Traffic Management
Also, the following are common objectives of an expert engineer, which are as follows-
What’s Traffic Analysis?
The procedure to list and examine messages to reason data from patterns in communication is known as traffic analysis. The process can be conducted even when the messages remain encrypted. In most cases, the maximum number of messages received, the more can be deduced from the traffic. These types of analyses are performed in the context of counter intelligence, military intelligence or security breach. These important tasks may be assisted by paid computer software programs. The advanced techniques to control traffic may consist of social network analysis that’s linked to traffic management.
In short, traffic engineers are required to be skilled in traffic data analysis, modeling, initiates and problem solving of transportation and traffic-related problems when considering smooth traffic flow, accident report among others. Also, traffic and civil engineering is a significant part of transportation engineering, which requires to ensure vehicle and individual safety.